This is the most Scrumptious Blackberry Pie! My whole family LOVED it!
adapted from Michelle Verdiere’s recipe on Allrecipes
- 5 1/2 cups fresh blackberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons butter sliced
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- Extra sugar
- Combine 4 cups berries with the sugar and flour. Place bottom pie crust in pie plate and brush with beaten egg. Spoon berry mixture into pan. Spread the remaining 1 1/2 cups of berries on top of the sweetened berries. Place butter on top of berries and cover with the top crust. Seal and crimp the edges. Brush the top crust with milk, and sprinkle with the extra sugar.
- Bake at 425 degree F (220 degrees C) for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature of the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes.
*Taken from Country Living May 2008
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
3-6 Tablespoons cold water
Combine first 4 ingredients in a bowl with a fork. Add cold butter and toss to coat. Using a pastry blender or fingers, cut butter into flour until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add 3 tablespoons of cold water and toss well with a fork. Pinch to see if dough holds together. If needed, add more water, up to 6 tablespoons. Chill one hour.
Love this crust and the fact that it doesn’t use any shortening! It is super delicious! This recipe says it will make two 9-inch crusts. I always get 3 9-inch crusts out of it! So I make a double crust pie and then a single crust pie that I can fill any way I like!
2 cups flour
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2/3 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/4 cups water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
4 1/2 – 5 cups peeled sliced apples
Combine first 5 ingredients; set aside 1 1/2 cups for the topping. Press remaining mixture into an ungreased 9″ pie plate.
For filling, combine sugar, water and cornstarch in a saucepan until smooth; bring to a boil. Continue to cook until thickend and clear. Remove from heat; stir in apples, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour into pie plate; top with reserved crumb mixture.
Bake 350 degrees for 45- 50 minutes or until crust is a golden brown and apples are soft.
*recipe taken from allrecipes with a few alterations made by me.